Saturday, August 25, 2012

BT5R3 Released!

BT5R3 has been released along with some cool new tools. I upgraded yesterday, but haven't been able to test any of the new tools out yet. That is mostly because I was trying to figure out a way to fix metasploit. I'm not sure what other problems I will run into with this upgrade, but not having metasploit to play with was quite irritating. When you try to access the framework the following errors are produced:

When accessing Metasploit from the desktop environment:
sh: msfconsole: command not found
sh: msfupdate: command not found
sh: msfcli: command not found

When accessing Metasploit from the command line the following errors are produced:
msfconsole: command not found
msfupdate: command not found
msfcli: command not found
I tried to figure out a solution, then I tried to find a solution. I couldn't find anything, but I didn't want to just uninstall/reinstall since that felt like defeat. Then I realized that I was just wasting my own time when I already knew that uninstalling and reinstalling metasploit would fix my problem. I removed metasploit then used the installer I had previously downloaded from Rapid7's website for v4.4. The install went smoothly and I proceeded to run msfupdate afterwards. Now I'm back in business fooling around in my test environment.

So why am I writing a post about a frustrating, yet easy to solve problem? As a word of caution to those of you who like me, frustrate easy. R3 maybe the latest and greatest but as of this posting it is not stable and doesn't mix well with R2 if you're performing an upgrade. If stability is important to you, or you don't want to have to spend any time fixing your backtrack it maybe wise to wait a few more weeks before trying to upgrade to R3.

2 comments:

  1. Hi, can you tell us the link where we can download the installer pls? would be nice ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. No problem, you can download backtrack from: http://www.backtrack-linux.org/downloads/ feel free to select which ever one you like best, but I am partial to gnome.

    ReplyDelete